Let’s face it. Being a social media or community manager definitely has its ups and downs, given that it has the reputation of being all fun and no work. So, in honor of my fellow community managers out there, we’ve put together a list of the top things only us social media addicts will understand (in GIF form, of course!). I’m sure you all can relate.
1) When people say, “So, do you get paid to be on Facebook all day? You have, like, the easiest job in the world.”
Umm, not quite. You’re sick of hearing everyone say that you don’t have a real job, so at this point a simple eye roll will do just fine.
2) Trying to explain your job to older relatives, or to someone who just doesn’t get it.
Community Management is… ah, forget it.
3) One of the most annoying things we see on a daily basis – #people #who #hashtag #every #single #thing
You know who you are.
4) When you spend so much time crafting the perfect post or content and it gets zero engagement
I see how it is, internet.
5) When fans attack your brand page and assume they’re talking directly to the CEO of your company
We’re all for feedback and creating relationships with customers, but trolls need not apply.
6) When someone in upper management comes to you and says, “Hey, can you make this go viral real quick?”
Nobody can truly predict virality, but sure, let me just make magic happen.
7) When Facebook announces they are changing something. Again.
Seriously Facebook?! I miss organic reach.
8) When you see reputable brands using engagement tactics like “Retweet if…” or “Like us!”
Come on guys, you can do better than that.
9) Trying to explain the measurement of ROI on social media to…anyone, really
Oh, and make sure to use words like “metrics”, “KPI’s” and “scale”.
10) When your post gets a record-high number of retweets, shares, or likes
Engagement – it’s all about the small victories in life.
11) Watching a competitor’s brand have a PR nightmare on social media
You feel bad for the brand’s community managers and hope it never happens to you.
12) When the content you wrote gets picked up by a top influencer in your industry
There are few things that can get you to bust out out the happy dance like this at your desk.
13) Being an early adopter in the tech world (or at least pretending to be one)
“Have you heard of this amazing new app/social network/plug-in/gadget that does x, y, AND z?!”
14) Realizing that you do have one of the coolest jobs in the world and at the end of the day, you absolutely love it!
And let’s be honest – everyone wants to be a social media manager too. Because all we do is play on Facebook, right?
There you have it – the good, the bad, and the ugly aspects in the daily life of a social media manager. What did I forget? Feel free to share in the comments below!